More than 600 cars were turned away at the Monaco border on New Year’s Eve.
Monaco-Matin has reported that some 130 police officers were mobilized across the country with over 600 cars told to turn back at the borders and 81 tickets issued for not respecting curfew and six tickets for not wearing a mask.
Director of Public Security Richard Marangoni told the French daily, “603 vehicles were asked to turn back, mostly on boulevard du Jardin Exotique.” Almost all the vehicles were Paca region-registered with a few from Paris.
Marangoni added that there was “nothing to report” in terms of drinking and driving or any curfew problems with people leaving restaurants, which were allowed to stay open until 10:30 p.m.
At midnight, firecrackers were lit from a terrace in Fontvieille but Public Security quickly put an end to the shenanigans. Handing over the rest of the fireworks, the person confessed and will appear in the court.
Monaco ended 2020 with 22 Covid cases, for a total of 72 over three days. France recorded 19,927 cases.
Starting January 2, the Alpes-Maritimes is one of 15 departments confirmed to have an advanced curfew from 6 p.m. (instead of 8) to 6 a.m. Additionally theaters, cinemas, and other cultural establishments will not reopen on January 7 as previously stated by the government.