England Will Go On New Lockdown After Coronavirus Spike

Author image

Nicholas Reimann   Forbes U.S. Staff

England Will Go On New Lockdown After Coronavirus Spike

Photo: Benjamin Davies/ Unsplash

England is set to go into its second lockdown over the coronavirus pandemic, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Saturday, telling residents “you must stay at home.”

KEY FACTS

- People will only be able to meet with one person from outside their household outdoors, while restaurants, pubs and cafes will have to shift service to takeout or delivery only.

- The lockdown will take effect on Thursday and last until Dec. 2, Johnson said.

- The U.K. will join France, Germany and other European countries in announcing strict new coronavirus restrictions amid a massive new outbreak in Europe.

- The U.K. recently passed 1 million total Covid-19 cases, and hospital capacity in England could run out in “a matter of weeks,” according to the government.

- Schools and universities will be allowed to remain open, which wasn’t allowed during the spring lockdown.

CRUCIAL QUOTE

“The virus is spreading faster than even the reasonable worst-case scenario,” Johnson said at a news conference, warning that if nothing is done, the county would see a “peak of mortality bigger than the one we saw in April.”

KEY BACKGROUND

Europe is in the midst of what is by far its largest confirmed coronavirus spike in terms of number of new cases. New cases have skyrocketed from around 1,500 per day at the start of September to now nearly 25,000 per day, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The U.K set a record on Oct. 21 with 26,707 new cases reported that day alone. 

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

The United States is also seeing a massive, record spike in coronavirus cases, but President Donald Trump has no appetite to add any new restrictions. Instead, Trump has continually said that the U.S. is “rounding the turn” and that coronavirus is going away, despite scientific evidence showing the situation is exactly the opposite of what the president says.

Author image

Nicholas Reimann   Forbes U.S. Staff

I'm a New Orleans-based news reporter for Forbes covering the U.S. South and breaking news. Previously, I wrote for The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate covering local government.