Eiffel Tower Reopens After Brief Shutdown Following Bomb Hoax

Author image

Siladitya Ray   Forbes U.S. Staff

Eiffel Tower Reopens After Brief Shutdown Following Bomb Hoax

Photo: Jeevan Jose/ Unsplash

The Eiffel Tower in Paris reopened to visitors after being evacuated and blockaded by police for serveral hours on Wednesday following a phone-in bomb threat, Reuters reported.

KEY FACTS

- The monument was searched and no explosives were found following which the monument was reopened, a police spokesperson told Reuters.

- According to a separate report by the Associated Press, police vehicles and tape were used to barricade the streets below the tower and the bridge stretching across the Seine River to Trocadero Plaza, for around two hours on Wednesday.

- A spokesperson for the company operating the monument told the New York Times that the tower was evacuated as a precautionary measure after the police received the anonymous call.

- The iconic Paris monument which sees 25,000 visitors during normal periods, had previously been closed for months at the start of the coronavirus pandemic but it has gradually reopened over the summer.

KEY BACKGROUND

In 2018, the north and south perimeters of the Eiffel Tower was retrofitted with bulletproof glass to protect the site against potential terror attacks. The east and west sides of the tower also had metal fencing installed to stop any vehicles that try to ram into the grounds. The perimeters were put in place following a series of terror attack that took place in France in the past decade. In 2015, the French capital was hit with two separate terror attacks in January and November.

Author image

Siladitya Ray   Forbes U.S. Staff

I am a Breaking News Reporter at Forbes, with a focus on covering important tech policy and business news. Graduated from Columbia University with an MA in Business and Economics Journalism in 2019. Worked as a journalist in New Delhi, India from 2014 to 2018.