The 2021 edition of the Cannes Film Festival has been postponed two months until July 6-17 in an attempt to maintain an in-person event.
The festival’s general delegate Thierry Frémaux told BFM-TV Thursday that “it is better to remain cautious” with reference to the health pandemic. Additionally, he indicated cinemas, currently shut, would need to be open to facilitate screenings.
Last year’s edition was cancelled due to Covid with a dressed-down online version showcasing short films taking place in October.
The Hollywood Reporter has said, “The move, while expected, will have a domino effect across the festival circuit. The Venice Film Festival is scheduled to kick off on September 1. Cannes' new dates mean there will be less than a month between Europe's number one and number two festivals.”
Cannes Mayor David Lisnard told Variety that the cancelation of conferences in 2020 at the Palais des Festivals (including the Cannes Film Festival) represents around 85% of Cannes’ annual income with a financial repercussion of around €800 million.