Minister of social affairs and health, Didier Gamerdinger, has confirmed four new positive coronavirus cases in Monaco over the past two days. This brings the total to 26 active cases.
“Ten of them are hospitalized, the others are being followed at home, but not all of them are Monegasque residents," he said, adding that the Princess Grace Hospital Center (CHPG) also services neighboring towns.
“Given this development, the health situation remains manageable. We are not yet seeing a very rapid increase in the epidemic.”
Regarding the use of chloroquine, a medication for malaria being used in some French hospitals to treat Covid-19 patients, Gamerdinger indicated that CHPG is being used under very close medical supervision while being attentive to its undesirable side effects.
"The minister of state has taken a decision to preserve stocks in the Principality and prevent dangerous self-medication. It allows their preemption from wholesale-distributors and the prohibition of their dispensation by community pharmacies. On the other hand, for patients already on chloroquine treatment, they will be able to obtain it from one pharmacy in the Principality. "
He also confirmed that a significant delivery of hydroalcoholic gel was made to health professionals in Monaco, with masks expected to arrive in the coming days.
The number of people confirmed to be infected in Monaco nearly doubled over 48 hours, from Friday, March 20, to Sunday, March 22—rising from 12 to 22 active cases.
Of the 27 overall cases, we know three were male. Prince Albert, 62, and minister of state Serge Telle, 64, both tested positive last week. The country’s first case diagnosed on February 28 was a twentysomething male who has made a full recovery.
When asked by Forbes Monaco for further details about the other 24 persons currently infected—gender, age, or which neighborhoods were most affected—the government’s communications department replied “Unfortunately these figures are not available due to medical confidentiality.”
Further enforcing their message to residents to “respect” home confinement rules, the government introduced (while refraining from using the word curfew) “a restriction on night travel” effective from March 22, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. with a maximum fine of €200.
In France minister of health Olivier Véran, has reacted to the scientific council’s suggestion Tuesday that confinement should possibly last six weeks. “They said that we should perhaps prepare for it to last five or six weeks,” said the minister adding we must be very careful. "There are other areas of expertise. We will know when the confinement can be lifted only when the epidemic curve allows it.”